Powered by People, a wholesale marketplace for artisans, is partnering with West Elm on a new collection of more than 150 products produced by craftspeople in nine countries.
The artisanal collection launches as the retailer announced additional initiatives rolling out in time for the holidays, including seasonal decorations developed with Finland’s Marimekko and Mara Hoffman emphasizing design and eco-friendliness.
With the new collection, customers shopping the Powered by People curated collection on the Williams-Sonoma banner website will be able to learn about the artisan makers even as new products and makers fill out the collection going forward.
At launch, featured items include handcrafted housewares, home furnishings and gifts priced from $8 to $650. Among them are:
- Gharyan Stoneware mineral clay and olivewood tableware from Tunisia
- Punch needle technique pillows from South Africa’s Cotton Tree
- Artisanal candles from Canada’s Field Kit
- Aurea’s contemporary wall hangings from Mexico
- Terracotta serveware and recycled glassware from Morocco’s Alcantara-Frederic
- Organic soapstone and raffia mobiles from Floc, Kenya
- Mexico-made Al Centro ceramics
- Elephant grass baskets woven in Ghana from Big Blue Moma
- Modernist ceramic vases from India’s Osmos Studio
- Wayil by Algodones Maya’s pillows hand woven from home-grown Guatemalan cotton
- Rafful Studio, Mexico, textile tapestries and mirrors
“We are excited to partner with Powered by People to further our commitment to supporting artisans worldwide,” said Catherine Schwartz, senior vp of merchandising at West Elm, in announcing the collection. “We look forward to expanding our maker community with a company that shares our dedication to sourcing responsibly made, beautiful products.”
To help consumers approach festive occasions, West Elm has collaborated with Marimekko, a Finnish design house, on a co-branded collection consisting of 13 limited-edition holiday-inspired pieces that celebrate color, texture and artisanal style, the retailer noted. Festive decorative accessories from the new collection include stockings, ornaments, tree skirts and toppers enhanced by Marimekko’s renowned prints. Products in the West Elm + Marimekko collection retail from $20 to $90.
West Elm also is debuting a new collaboration with designer, Mara Hoffman including 28 items that celebrate design, sustainability and responsible production processes, West Elm indicated. The new assortment spans the furniture, lighting, decorative accessories and textiles product segments. Pieces in the collection feature warm neutral tones and high contrast black and whites executed on textured fabrications, with prices ranging from $19.50 to $799.