iRobot Corp. has partnered with Amazon to add Alexa voice-enabled intelligence for iRobot robot vacuums and mops.
Beyond start and stop commands, iRobot and Alexa can:
- “Roomba, Clean Around the [Object]” – Roomba can clean around specific objects. For example, the user would say, “Alexa, tell Roomba to clean around the couch.”
- iRobot Scheduling with Alexa Voice Service – Customers can direct their Roomba to create cleaning schedules. For example, “Alexa, tell Roomba to clean the kitchen every weeknight at 7 pm.”
- Alexa Announcements – Alexa can let customers know when the robot needs help or when it has finished a cleaning job.
- Alexa Hunches – If Alexa has a “hunch” that the customer is away, it can begin a cleaning job.
- Do Not Disturb – Coming soon, customers will also be able to set “Do Not Disturb” times for Roomba vacuums or Braava jet robot mops.
“Smart home products often fail to live up to consumer expectations because they require complex programming for basic functionality and lack the ability to truly interact with the user,” said Colin Angle, chairman and CEO of iRobot. “We believe robots should be thoughtful and responsive, and clean according to the user’s unique preferences. The combination of advanced navigation, object identification and advanced voice-enabled technologies lets people interact with them in a more natural way, gaining greater control of their smart home. We’re excited to unlock even more intuitive cleaning and smart home experiences by working with Amazon to integrate cutting-edge voice capabilities.”